Friday, September 28, 2007

after five weeks eSwatini (in Swaziland)...

if you read the last post, you'll know that i've been in need of a little encouragement lately. so i decided to start a regular feature (!): a top-10 listing some first-time experiences so i can track my adjustment process and laugh at myself in a few months when i'm well-adjusted and loving it here.

so, after 5 weeks eSwatini...

1. i have crusty feet from being outside and barefoot so much. i now require my very own pumice stone (used in the shower to file the callouses on your heels) which my make gave to me.

2. i am continually frustrated by the language, but can pick out familiar words in conversations, and exchange greetings and some basic information with people i meet.

3. i've mastered public transportation and have figured out how to yell "STASH!" loud enough that the kombi drivers know when to let me out (or the other possiblity is that since they all know me now and that i get off at eShaweni, they just stop automatically)

4. i've turned down 9 marriage proposals.

5. i've done battle with monster cockroaches that invade the outhouse at night.

6. i've taken pictures with a prince and princess at the umhlanga (reed dance).

7. i've been stung by a bee while bathing.

8. i discovered a delicious new fruit - lihlala or monkey orange.

9. i explored sibebe rocks and climbed up into an awesome cave in the rock formation at the top.

10. i fried my 110-volt battery charger by plugging it into the 220-volt current here, which blew a fuse in my house and filled the room with some acrid smoke.

3 comments:

emma said...

I FRIED MY BATTERY CHARGER TOO! it made the lights dim and then smoked also - it was a scary moment. aargh - it sucks not having batteries - i don't know what i'm going to do when my alarm clock battery runs out.

Janna said...

wow mims that is some amazing stuff that you have been up too! i know that the beginning is always the hardest but its true that focusing on the fun/intresting things helps. hugs from france

Hannah Heinzekehr said...

Hey Mimi,

Your mom forwarded on your blog to us and I've been trying to keep up with it. It's so interesting to read about all of the things that you are experiencing and men that you're meeting. :) It seems like such a long time ago that you were here at Mission Network, but I must say that I still miss all of you girls. I feel very young somtimes! I hope that you can continue to celebrate your new experiences and feel more at home each day.

Hannah